History of First Christian Church Sulphur, OK
In 1902 the First Christian Church met in a public home in old Southtown what is now Sulphur OK. Mr and Mrs. Charles Howe were among the first original members. In 1913 the church was reorganized under the leadership of R.M. Estes and boasted a congregation of 45 members. The church's organization grew under the leadership on Mr. Este's until his death in Nov of 1914. In 1915 a group of members pledges $100 to buy lots where the present builing stands. For approximately 10 years the congregation met in the old post office buiding. In 1928 the building was completed and the first service was held on October 7, 1928 and dedicated the following Sunday. The Ladies Aid and Missionary Society was reorganized into the Women's Council March 1, 1937. The projects that year were new carpet in the sanctuary and a nursery. In 1950 the total membership was 140 resident and 21 non resident members. In 1950 the Bulletin Board/Marquee was built by Buster Robb, Maurice Easter and David O'Shields. The Fellowship hall was completed in early 1950. In 1953 with the help of 30 other churches we purchased Camp Jack Little, now called Texoma Christian Camp for $40,000. By 1982 the church as we know it today was flourishing more and more each year. In 1992 a mid week Vacation Bible School began on Wed. afternoon called God's Kids Under Construction. In 2002 we celebrated our centennial with a celebration and were blessed with over 100 in attendance.